Dental crowns are a versatile dental restoration that can be used in several ways to enhance the health, function, and appearance of teeth. At Shadowridge Dental Group in Vista, California, we offer our patients beautiful dental crowns made of high-quality materials, so they blend in beautifully with your smile. With our customized treatment plans, we can provide our patients with individualized care that improves their health and wellness.
Five reasons we may recommend dental crowns
A crown is essentially a cap that fits over the entire visible portion of the tooth. While dental crowns can be made from many different materials, porcelain is most often chosen due to its close resemblance to natural tooth enamel. There are several other situations where we may recommend a dental crown, such as:
- Broken teeth – When a tooth has become fractured or chipped, it can be highly susceptible to decay, potentially leading to infection or loss. A dental crown can protect the natural tooth and provide the added strength necessary to prevent problems down the road.
- Implant restoration – Dental implants are considered the gold standard for tooth replacement after loss. Once the implant is placed in the jawbone, it fuses to provide stability to support the final restoration. For individuals missing a single tooth, the implant is typically completed with a dental crown on top.
- Dental bridges – are another option for replacing teeth. Dental bridges are anchored in place by dental crowns on each side of the missing teeth.
- Root canals – When a tooth has deep decay, root canal therapy may be necessary to remove the damaged pulp and prevent the need for extraction. Because root canals render the remaining tooth structure weak, a dental crown is placed on top to restore strength.
- Cosmetics – Teeth that have worn down over time or have permanent discoloration can be covered with a dental crown to restore beauty and symmetry to the smile.
Natural, long-lasting results
At Shadowridge Dental Group, our top priorities are the health and beauty of our patients’ smiles. By providing options such as dental crowns, we can cosmetically improve the appearance of teeth while also improving their health and functionality. To schedule an appointment at our Vista, CA office, please call us at (760) 284-8111.
Share this Article